Friday 17 August 2012

Love and Football: A New Season


Football kicks of properly tommorow, all at the same time for the first time in a while. All four main divisions of English football play their first set of fixtures this weekend. So I thought as my first topical post I would discuss my opinions and hopes for the new season. As a Portsmouth Fan I'm going to discuss them, and mainly the premier league. But I will also offer a few predictions to the other leagues and some things to look out for. So here we go;


The Premier League

This is set up to be one of the most impressive seasons ever in the Premier League, Manchester City made it look close and kept the adrenaline pumping right till the last second of the season last year, but we shouldn't have doubted them. But Manchester United have signed the Top Goalscorer Van Persie, and Fergie is seeking his revenge on the their Sky Blue rivals. Could Chelsea even be a surprise package in the top 2 as their young signings are looking to be stars of the future. Maybe, after their Champions League success and Roberto Di Matteo can inspire them to a title challenge, who knows? What I am really hoping for is another close exciting season, where teams move positions in the league every time they score or concede. Last season was a taste, but I desire more. The relegation fight could be closer than ever with all the bottom teams upping their game towards the end of last season, it's almost too close to call, Wigan favourite to go down, but they have been for the last few years, and they pull of miracles every season with Roberto Martinez. So all areas of the table are being highly contested and I think there could be some really big shocks this year.

Here's My Predictions for the Premier League this week;

Arsenal 1-2 Sunderland - A lack of Van Persie could cause a Struggle at The Emirates, as the new faces like Podolski could take a while to settle. Whereas Sunderland look very impressive last season, with Larsson and Bentner. So I think they will beat the Gunners
Fulham 3-0 Norwich - Fulham impressed me at the end of last season, I think they will continue that form. Whereas Norwich started brilliantly last year, but fell towards the end, a more consistent season is needed if they are to survive.
QPR 0-1 Swansea - A very tight defense last year, so I think Swansea will just get a victory. Close Game though as I think QPR are a good side, and without Joey Barton they can play some proper football.
Reading 1-2 Stoke City - I think the newcomers will put up a good fight at home, but stoke are a good side and should overcome the Berkshire side.
West Brom 0-2 Liverpool - Brendan Rogers will hopefully inspire Liverpool to 5th or 6th place this season. So a win at the Hawthorn's is important to kick off their season. Albion on the other hand need to be in the mid-table this season, to silence their critic who dub them a "yo-yo team"
West Ham 0-0 Aston Villa - The two teams strikers are the worst part of their teams. So a 0-0 I'm affraid. I really think Villa could struggle this year, and I hope not, as alot of the people I know support them, but I can't see them being safe from the drop with games to spare. West Ham might also be in the fight down the bottom, unless they sign some top players soon.
Newcastle 2-2 Tottenham - I hope Newcastle can carry on their form from last season, but AVB's Spurs will be very tough to beat in the fixture. I can only see a high score, maybe Newcastle will steal it due to the brilliance of Cissé, but I think Spurs can hold on.
Wigan 0-4 Chelsea - Despite a magical end to last season, key players have left Wigan and untested players have arrive, so I think another slow start for the Latics. Chelsea have lost Drogba, but an impressive transfer spree should see them scoring. Torres to hit form?
Man City 5-2 Southampton - You would think that a Portsmouth supporter would write off their rivals this season, but I am thinking that Southampton will finish the top of the bottom half, maybe 13th or so. Their impressive style of play last season was good to watch, but most of all they won matches. Unlucky not to win the league, but Lambert, Lalana and Co will be looking to tear up the premier league this season. Manchester City, obviously favourite to retain their title, and personally I think that they will, but I think in more impressive style, Ballotelli should hit incredible form this season, and Tevez back and Aguero on form as always, It could be incredible to watch. Even their defense is impressive, with my personal player of the season last year Vincent Kompany in the centre, a newly on-form Lescott, and Micah Richards impressive, it could be an unbeatable team. I think because this team is now gelling and playing together, it could be more powerful that ever. Yikes!
Everton 1-3 Manchester Utd - now this will be an interesting game, Everton are always a very tough side to beat and I thought Moyes got it bang-on last year with Jelavic, Pienaar and Co. But with the departure of star Aussie Cahill, people are questioning them. Personally I think that this is a great move, he is beginning to get on a bit, and wasn't so influential last season as he has been in previous years, so I think the Toffees will be fine. Man U have signed the Premier League top goalscored Robin Van Persie, forking out £24m, this will either be brilliant or a flop. Personally I think that Van Persie will do great with Fergie, and might even teach young Wayne a few things and improve him. I'm expecting god things, but I don't think title winning things.

League Predictions:

1st: Manchester City
2nd: Chelsea
3rd: Manchester Utd
4th: Newcastle
5th: Liverpool
6th: Spurs
7th: Arsenal
8th: Everton
9th: Fulham
10th: Swansea
11th: Sunderland
12th: Stoke City
13th: Southampton
14th: West Brom
15th: Reading
16th: Norwich
17th: West Ham
18th: Wigan
19th: Aston Villa
20th QPR

The Championship


I think that there could be another very dominant force to take the reigns this season in the Championship, like Portsmouth, Reading and other teams have done before, I think someone will run away with it, and the mot interesting battle will become 2nd place. I'll predict the notable places for Championship with my reasoning. I think it will be the Battle of the 'B's

1st: Blackpool, I think that last season was a blip, and they finished 4th. Their team had the potential, but didn't quite challenge enough. So this season will see them walk their way back into the Prem.
2nd: Bolton, Still premier league quality, and I think they will go straight back up, but it won't be easy, as some teams have invested strongly this year.
Play-off Winner: I am torn between bitter rivals Birmingham and Leicester, but I think that the Blues of Birmingham will just beat the Foxes simply due to the fact that Leicester is full of individual players which I don't think will gel until mid-season, By then the Brummies will have opened up a lead, and will finish above Leicester, then take that form to Wembley and beat them.

Relegation:
Barnsley, Peterborough and Sheffield Wed. The newly promoted Wednesday might fall short of keeping up with the Championship next year, so might fall back down. Barnsley sit in mid-table every season, but this year i believe different, some fans are not impressed with the amount being put into the club, and I think this could see them drop down. Peterborough did't impress me last season, despite some high-scoring matches. towards the end they faltered and scraped staying up, but this season I feel they wont be so lucky.

Portsmouth

One of the most talked about clubs this summer has been a drowning Portsmouth, as an avid supported and lover of the club, I thought I had to voice my opinions. Due to mismanagement and high players wages Portsmouth are in administration for the second time. 3 years of money trouble has seen us drop from the Premier League to League 1, and the recent pull out of Hong Kong millionaire Belu Chainrai means Portsmouth are without a bidder and have been circling the drain. However in the last few days, Portsmouth have had 10 points reinstated and been granted permission to sign players on frees and loans and have thus secure 10 players on short term deals. These players have had a terrific pre-season, even beating a full-strength Bolton side 3-0. Could this be an miracle, Michael Appleton, a new Pompey legend could be putting together a very competitive side, and I think that we, providing we stay out of more financial trouble, might even challenge the top half. Even if we do have the points deduction at a later date. Izale McLeod and Luke Rodgers at the helm of Pompey's strike force and an impressive little winger, Keiran Djilali could mean we might score a few, and with players like Dumbuya and Ex-Chelsea Jon Harley, we might have a decent defense aswell. so my prediction for Portsmouth this season is 10th Position. Ready to challenge the Play-offs next year. Providing there is no more financial trouble and we don't go bust. But fingers crossed! PLAY UP POMPEY!

A Summary

As you can see I'm a very opinionated football fan and I have made some fairly strange predictions. I hope no one is offended. I love football, and I respect every team in the football league, even Southampton. So please comment below, as I'd love to know your predictions, and feelings about your team. Maybe you think your team can challenge this season, or you don't think a team is good enough. Feel free to comment and discuss, ad I'm sure I'll get involved aswell.

Links and Things
Just a quick nod in the direction of the other stuff Obsidian Corp is doing

Twitter: @theObsidianCorp
And of course check out our other Blogs, by clicking on The Obsidian Corp at the side!

Thank you from everyone at the Obsidian Corp

James "Womble" Richardson

No comments:

Post a Comment