Thursday 13 September 2012

Mayhem of Music A to Z: "A"

I fancied doing a bit of a change today, after a few gaming posts, I thought that I would do a music blog. What I thought I would do is go through the Alphabet, commenting on the best bands, songs, albums that begin with that letter. So opinionated and structured, just how I like it.

So going about this in order, that means that this blog post is A. I'll try not to miss any out. Also, hopefully, it will be a nice variety of music, I have a fairly wide taste from the 60's to the modern day, across almost all of the genres. So Enjoy, and don't be afraid to comment below on your opinions.

A is for...

Solo Artist

We will start with individual artists, and the letter A means there are quite alot, immediately springing to mind Lily Allen, Akon, Bryan Adams, Christina Aguilera. In fact there are so many I might offer a few in this blog.

Firstly we have someone who might not be a normal straight lad's first choice. She is one of the biggest stars of the British music scene, but is popular all over the world. She was the first solo artist to sell 3 Million copies of one album in a single year in the UK, with her album "21".

Adele
Adele is quite simply one of the greatest singers of the 21st century. Although some people might argue that her songs are all depressing and boring, I completely disagree. I think that she expresses her feelings and emotions so perfectly and passionately in the lyrics. Her songs are just purely beautiful and most of the give you goosebumps on your arms, and a shiver up your spine.
My personal favourite songs are "Someone Like You" which was her second hit from the Album "21" The song was her first UK number one, and also topped the charts in Ireland, New Zealand, Australia, Brazil, Italy, France and Switzerland, and has become Adele's second number one in the United States. The lyrics describe her coming to terms with a broken relationship, stating 'I wish nothing but the best for you'. Overall I think that this song is Adele's most beautiful song.
On the counter side, one of her more upbeat songs (upbeat for Adele) "Chasing Pavements" is my favourite of her tracks from her first album "19" Accompanied by a strange music video (She is singing at the scene of a car crash and the 'dead bodies' dance together) I think that this song is a more catchy tune than 'Someone like you" or "Set Fire to the Rain", also on the album "21".

So that is this week's "Solo Artist"

Bands or Groups

There are even more bands beginning with A than there are individual artists, including ABBA, AC/DC, All American Rejects, All Saints, Alphabeat, Aerosmith and the list just goes on.

I have a massive love for Aerosmith and AC/DC and even a soft spot for 70's Disco Group ABBA. but I have gone for a band that is more up-to-date. Personally I just think that they are really good, and their songs are the kind you listen to loudly in your bedroom.

The Arctic Monkeys
Originating in 2002 from Sheffield in England, The Arctic Monkeys are an Indie Rock/Garage Rock band. There are four members, pictured to the right. Alex Turner, Jamie Cook, Nick O'Malley, Matt Helders. Nick replace original member, and previous bass guitarist, Andy Nicholson in 2006, and the band has kept that layout until the present day. 
The Band only really became famous in the mid-early 2000's when it sold out gig's across the country, the released their debut album "Whatever People Say, That's What I'm Not" It became the UK's fastest ever selling debut album, selling 360,000 copies in the first week of release and still holds that title for any debut albums released by a Band.
My personal favourite track is "I Bet that you look good on the Dancefloor" which was released in October 2005 and slotted straight in at the top of the charts. It also featured on their album "Whatever People Say, That's What I'm Not". I love this track because, apart from being one of the band's earlier songs, it is still probably their most catchy and is one of my most played songs on my iPod. It was also voted 11th in NME's "150 top songs of the last 15 years"
I also like the song "Fluorescent Adolescent" which is another great song, but also has one of the weirdest music videos I've ever seen. It contains a clowns beating people up, and one clown growing up alongside a gangster, and then beating him up throughout.... So yeah, I don't really know what to say about that...
So, The Arctic monkeys are my band for "A" just for being so awesome, which also begins with "A".

Top 5 Tracks


I'm not going to give reasons for chosing these, I'm just going to fire them off.

5.
Always where I Need to be - The Kooks

4.
All Summer Long - Kid Rock

3.
All Shook Up - Elvis Presley

2.
All You Need Is Love - The Beatles

...
1.
America - Razorlight

There are loads of tracks beginning with A, I even missed out Angry Mob by the Kaiser Chiefs, and "Another one bites the dust" by Queen. which are some of my favourite tracks, but there are so many tracks for "A". I even missed out "All About You" By Mcfly. but oh well.

Cheesy Track of the Blog
American Idiot - Greenday
I really like this track, but to be honest, despite it's popularity, it's actually really cheesy. The song is so american its past Ironic.

Album

Finally It the Best Album beginning with 'A'. I was going to choose "A Night at the Opera" by Queen, but that would have just been for Bohemian Rhapsody, and I'm sure that will feature in the next blog.
So instead I have gone for one of the greatest bands of all time. Need I say more than The Beatles.

Abbey Road - The Beatles
It was released in 1969 and was the Band's last recorded work before it's break up in 1970, (Let it Be, was released after, but recorded earlier) Obviously the album was number one in the UK but surprisingly didn't reach it in any other of the main countries.

Side one
No.TitleLead vocalsLength
1."Come Together"  Lennon4:20
2."Something" Harrison3:03
3."Maxwell's Silver Hammer"  McCartney3:27
4."Oh! Darling"  McCartney3:26
5."Octopus's Garden" Starr2:51
6."I Want You (She's So Heavy)"  Lennon7:47
Side two
No.TitleLead vocalsLength
1."Here Comes the Sun"Harrison3:05
2."Because"  Lennon, McCartney and Harrison2:45
3."You Never Give Me Your Money"  McCartney4:02
4."Sun King"  Lennon, with McCartney and Harrison2:26
5."Mean Mr. Mustard"  Lennon1:06
6."Polythene Pam"  Lennon1:12
7."She Came In Through the Bathroom Window"  McCartney1:57
8."Golden Slumbers"  McCartney1:31
9."Carry That Weight"  McCartney with Lennon, Harrison and Starr1:36
10."The End"  McCartney2:05
11."Her Majesty"  McCartney0:23
Track List from Wikipedia.
The cover of the album is also one of the most famous for any album ever, and has been replicated many times by different bands, and tourists.
The album also contains one of my most favourite songs from The Beatles, and that is "Here Comes the Sun"
I have only recently got into The Beatles after I organised and hosted a local village radio for a week with some of my more musically educated friends. One of whom was Tom Peach, who introduced me to The Beatles, as he is a massive fan of the all time greats.





He also does a blog, and you should check that out http://tomsbloggyblogblog.blogspot.co.uk/ He talks alot about the radio and recent goings on in our village. So have a read.


Anyway, Thanks for reading this rather long blog about the music side of the letter A. I hope you enjoyed and stay tuned for the remaining 25 Posts.


Links and Things
Just a quick nod in the direction of the other stuff Obsidian Corp is doing

Twitter: @theObsidianCorp
And of course check out our other Blogs, by clicking on The Obsidian Corp at the side!

Thank you from everyone at the Obsidian Corp

James "Womble" Richardson




No comments:

Post a Comment